Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Just when I thought I was ok...

I'm up at 4.30am, wide-awake and still s0-so with the time-stuff. I thought it was too good to be true... I think the same thing happened last time I went to the USA, so I'll just have to wear it.

I'm out at a Game Republic function later today, the AGM as it happens and we're discussing the integration of the operation into Screen Yorkshire, the Yorkshire region's film & media association (www.screenyorkshire.co.uk). Generally we're discussing the future nature of what the company offers (i.e. it's continuing support & development of regional games development) and how best that is put into practice using government and EU funds. I'll most likely be out in Leeds afterwards with a few of the other developer heads involved and the GR folks.

Tomorrow I'm at the University of Bradford for their Industrial Advisory board meeting where I will listen to and comment on their policies and in a wider ranging discussion, what they can do to help deliver quality graduates. We'll be discussing what we are looking for and how we can help them too. This is an area that's becoming pretty important in ensuring the strength of the local area going forward - the opportunity for self-groomed skills are not what they once were when you consider the complexities of modern home PC's compared to what we used in the 80's and early 90's.

I've also booked for the Casual Game Association event in Amsterdam, which is in February. This is another area of great interest right now and whilst we're not traditionally known as a casual games developer, both Lemmings and Worms sit somewhere near that bracket, particularly in relation to the digital platforms on PS3 and 360.

I'm exploring this convergence of mainstream and casual games right now and seeing what other opportunities there are as the market shifts and expands; I'm sure there are many and it's an area we should be comfortable within - even considering our wide range of skills and abilities in the traditional market, keeping an eye on future distribution models and trends is something I'm increasingly focused upon and ensuring we're there or thereabouts.

Christ.. a post with no mention of losing shoes, I must be knocking on...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DaKing240 -

Lemmings... 360... no, my eyes must be decieving me...

Martyn James Brown said...

Yes they are! Lemmings was developed for the PS3 digital platform only, it's a Sony franchise (we are merely the developers on the title). There are no plans for it to appear anywhere else I'm afraid (as far as I am aware, but that's Sony's call).

Conversely, Worms is only appearing on the 360's digital platform currently - at least in terms of console digital distribution.

Anonymous said...

DaKing240 -

One could only dream... besides we get Worms, so I am happy anyway :)