Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Game for a laugh

I've been getting a bit of a ribbing at the games "I'm playing" by people commenting at my gamertag "last 5 games played". Well, there's a reason that Turtles, Frogger and mostly Viva-Pinata are there... he's nearly 6 and called Harry!

Truth be told, I've hardly touched the 360 in the last few weeks (given I can hardly get near it for Viva Pinata) and I've been doing other things. The PS3 went into the office and has been donated to the design room, although I think it's still lurking in the producer's office such is the anxiety in which JD rushed out to get a HDMI cable so he could use it...

Games wise, I've been playing Puzzle Quest on PSP which is essentially Bejewelled with fantasy RPG knobs on and for some reason it's very more-ish even if I've just skipped every part of "the story" which seems nonsense to me (even though the fantasy art and characters are very nice).

I'm looking forward to getting back online and playing Worms when the update goes live - should have news on that soon really. In the office we're pretty much at submission with a new PSP/DS title and it's all hands on deck for that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Viva PiƱata is awesome! You should start playing it (if you haven't already) - it's extremely addictive. Once you get going it gets far too complex for a little kid to do well in. On the outside it's a kids game, but on the inside it's for all ages.

If you're after a fun game for your PSP, try Mercury Meltdown. It's a puzzle game where you have to... err... just look at review sites for a description, it's quite hard to describe. I've played the PS2 version, and it's really fun - apparently the PSP version is even better. It's the sort of game you can just pick up and play for 5 minutes (or 5 hours).

Think of it as a more complex and digitised version of those puzzles everyone had when they were a kid where you tilt a board and try to get a marble through to the end of the maze without letting it fall down the holes.

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Meltdown There's a Wii version coming too, if, and have a Wii. Anyway, I suggest you at least hire it. I only had a brief play on a friend's console, but it was quite fun.

Martyn James Brown said...

I don't really feel compelled to pick up Viva Pinata at all. Some friends at Sega said I should, but it's not really my cup of tea. The kids love it though and haven't left it alone for the best part of 5-6 weeks.

I also think you under-estimate how good at games kids can be :) My 9yr old is now a level 48 or something in Warcraft, after playing a couple of years and my youngest has been playing console games since he was 2 (he's completed a few games already) - and beats his dad at Carcassonne, although I admit that's no mean feat :)

Martyn James Brown said...

I tried Mercury too, but that's not my cuppa either.