Friday, October 17, 2008

Little Big Balls-up

LittleBigPlanet is probably the most hyped game of the year, bigger than Gears2, FIFA09, whatever... I was lucky enough to get a pre-release copy courtesy of a friend over at Sony (who'd also got us on the Beta edition). Whilst it's not my personal cup of tea, I was obviously tremendously impressed with the art, design and sheer creative invention in the game - Harry (my youngest son) on the other hand, is totally besotted by it. He's even taken to getting up at 6.30am to make levels for it.

Now we've got the full game, I've played it a bit more and I really like the levels that play a bit like Loco Roco, fast moving levels that throw you about as you collect stuff and avoid nasties. It's still a little flaky in places due to the way that games with real physics can be (you can't control everything that will happen) but not enough to have me throwing the controller at the screen or booting the dog or cat. I came close though... deep breath, put down, return to it later.

Anyway, the game, featuring super-cute Sackboy, which was due to be released in a week has now been put back a further 3 weeks due to some apparent Islamic chanting in the background audio on one of the levels. I can't say that it bothered me and it's a further example of us being so insanely politically correct it's untrue. I can also only imagine the amount of hassle over in the external development department at Wavertree in Liverpool over this, with angry directors stomping about. The title is classed as a 'system seller' and this will be a bit of a blow, especially after just receiving yet another glowing review from Edge, where it got 10/10.

As for the guy who OK'd that licensed track, I imagine someone has just uttered the phrase "hey, you're sacked-boy".

No comments: